ABOUT NU SIGMA
CELEBRATING 100 YEARS OF BROTHERHOOD, SCHOLARSHIP & SERVICE
Nu Sigma Chapter was established in 1922 by the Brothers of Epsilon Chapter,
a city-wide undergraduate chapter chartered at Temple University. Both undergraduate and graduate brothers held membership in Epsilon Chapter until Nu Sigma, a graduate chapter, was chartered. All SIGMAS in the city met together, under the leadership of Epsilon Chapter until there were enough members to sustain independently a graduate chapter. (During this time, local SIGMAS, under the leadership on Epsilon Chapter President, Bro. Mallory S. Walker, hosted the 11th Anniversary National Conclave, the first for Pennsylvania, on December 27-31, 1924). For three years during the transition of graduate members from Epsilon to Nu Sigma, Bro. Dr. E. H. Barnes, a Frankford pharmacist, served as president of the graduate chapter.
Thursday evening, June 2, 1925, was the occasion of the election of the first full slate of graduate officers for Nu Sigma Chapter. The meeting was opened by president Bro. Dr. Barnes, who praised Epsilon Chapter for its leadership in establishing Nu Sigma. The brothers unanimously elected Bro. Dr. Thomas J. Potter president, replacing Bro. Dr. Barnes. Bro. Potter assumed office praising
Dr. Barnes for his dynamic leadership over the past three years and assuring the members that “every ounce of energy” he possessed would be expended on behalf of their noble cause.
Other officers elected upon this occasion were as follows: Vice President,
Bro. Dr. George W. Evans; Corresponding Secretary, Bro. Dr. Raymond S. Bounds; Financial Secretary, Bro. William H. Jones; Treasurer, Bro. R. A. Bailey.
Nu Sigma Chapter has continued from the beginning to carry the banner of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity in the city of Brotherly Love, hosting Regional Conferences in 1954, 1967, 1977, 1995 and 2002, and National Conclaves in 1941, 1961 and 2013.